Free unlock for iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the iPhone 3G/3GS and also the iPod touch (first and second generation).
The iPhone Dev Team has made the following possible. They’ve made a method to where you can free unlock your phone at home with the usb cable that came with your iPhone. Once you have this, you’ll need iTunes as well as the firmware for your exact generation model (2g/3g), BIN files and appropriate software to do the job.
For the 3G/3GS iPhone models the process isn’t totally a software one, it’s half software (to jailbreak the phone) and half phone and wifi usage to download and execute the file on the device, basically a payload, well developed and also very well delivered. Groovy job dev team!!
For the 2G iPhone models it’s
basically all software since the package delivered to the phone through the DFU process contains basically everything needed. It even gives the option to install Cydia… great stuff!
To unlock your 3G iPhone:
- Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0
- Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy)
- Run Cydia or Icy
- Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
- Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w
- Reboot your iPhone 3G
- T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w
To unlock your 2G iPhone:
- Jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 2G using redsn0w
- Make sure you have the above listed items at the top of this post (Firmware, bin files, etc etc)
If you have any errors in any of the above then please stop what you are doing and forward your browser to the iPhone Dev Team’s Site for help on issues that you are having, this is important because you can potentially “brick” your cellular phone (make it where it wont work anymore, period.) and we all know that would suck…